Monday

RISKY BUSINESS

Has anyone been watching Celebrity Apprentice? If not I strongly recommend it - the men's team is a really interesting mix of dynamic, talented guys.

The opposing team is, by contrast, a really dull mix of smart, competent women.  What gives the men the winning advantage is their ability to take risks.  The women always play it safe and do exactly as they're told. Below is a commercial the men did for a video phone, directed by Lil Jon.


I couldn't find a clip of the women's commercial 'cause no one bothered to post it.  It's the nauseatingly cliche tale of a young girl studying in Paris (inexplicably accompanied by her "host mother" Dionne Warwick) signing over the video phone with her deaf mother in America.  

Taking risks just isn't in our blood; women have to bear and raise children. We need to be stable, nurturing, and we need to put others first. While men are out hunting, or the modern day equivalent (trying to be some sort of artist) we feel we need to hold down the fort.

This puts us at a real disadvantage in business. I meet so many women who had their own fashion line but decided to give it up in exchange for the stability of corporate job. You know how many men I know who have done the same thing? Zero. I was talking to my dad one day, crying about how my business had failed, how I'd lost everything, how I never thought it would be this hard, how I was giving up. And he was like, "What? Of course you failed, and you're going to keep failing until you succeed." It never occurred to me that failure might be acceptable or common place. I think women beat themselves up while men dust themselves off and try again.

So imma keep trying: I realize that profitability is a long way away but that doesn't mean failure - it just means I need to make money other ways while I develop the line. Luckily I give great head.

I leave you with another scene from Celebrity Apprentice, to remind us ladies that we may not be risk takers but we are still far superior to men. This is an enraged Meatloaf accusing Gary Busey of stealing his art supplies (turns out they were under a chair).

9 comments:

  1. THe Apprentice seems to have gone full blown crazy peeps just like the other reality shows. I saw that Mafia Wives show commercial and hope this category will jump the shark soon. You'll always be able to find work. Keep the line alive with small deliveries if you have to.
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. Your dad is right -- we womens have gotta keep at it. What's great about women is when we put our mind to it and dust ourselves off from the failing, the failing only makes us stronger and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I keep getting Brent confused with Brett.
    2. Your dad is a wise man.
    3. The Harvard Business Review is all about failure this month and worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're understanding of the differences between men and women are yet again astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and seemingly still based on bad reality tv

    ReplyDelete
  6. The croc tee is showing up as $0.00 at the check out!
    Is this just me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you. Your dad is right -- we womens have gotta keep at it. What's great about women is when we put our mind to it and dust ourselves off from the failing, the failing only makes us stronger and better.

    ReplyDelete