Wednesday

RUNWAY OF THE DAY: BEBE

I interrupt me never posting anything to bring you my first Spring 2012 RUNWAY OF THE DAY.

I just went on style.com to check out the recent shows and was shocked to see my former employer, bebe, as one of the designers listed. STYLEDOTMOTHERFUCKINGCOM! How did this happen? Well it says bebe brought in Charles Benton, a former Emanuel Ungaro designer, to consult. A little on-line stalking reveals that Charlie was at Ungaro in 1999. Why doesn't anyone reference my work from 1999? I was designing Furby branded childrenswear. Do you have any idea how big Furby was in '99? According to Wikipedia, "A Furby (plural Furbys or Furbies) was a popular electronic robotic toy resembling a hamster/owl-like creature which went through a period of being a "must-have" toy following its launch in the holiday season of 1998 ... Furbies sold 1.8 million units in 1998, 14 million units in 1999". 14 MILL! In your face, Ungaro.

In the review on STYLE.COM (!) it says that Benton was given "free rein" at bebe which I totally believe. When I was there I got to do pretty much whatever I wanted, it was an absolute dream job. Manny, the CEO, supports creativity and new ideas to an astounding degree, I've never seen anything like it, especially in a public company.

But sometimes the actual customer gets forgotten in these experiments. The bebe girl is as sexy as it gets. Below I've taken two of them from the bebe Facebook page and put them in looks from the runway show.


6 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh so hard I squirted water out of my nose (no dairy, no sugar, no salt = no soda = unhappy beyond belief; is there Prozac for this kind of depression?)

    The average Bebe customer is going to hate the runway collection. I saw a bunch of fabulous drag queens with mile long extensions shopping there over the weekend. I can see them holding up the lace dress and saying, "What the fuck is this supposed to be? It looks like a motherfucking tablecloth! I wouldn't wear this if you chopped it into strips and made them into doily pasties."

    When's the FW collection going to be up for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. laffin so hard..I am coughing blood...thx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Furby... YES!!! Too genius. ahahhahhahahahhahahahahahahahah MANNY! And you know I googled that mother bitch as well when I saw the shows review. Judging by his 'website' and partnering with Manny... Ungaro got him, Ung-NO WHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaa Abby, great minds think alike. I actually heard he was a great guy and great designer - don't hate the player hate the game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nearly wet myself with hysteria when I saw the guys face in the background of the last picture!! HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete